Prep: 10 mins Cook:40 mins
We were delighted to get this comforting recipe from our friend and food blogger Marika Harvey. Click here to check out her other foodie treats.
8 korkers original sausages
1 onion, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
500g baby carrots
2 tbsp tomato purée
400g tin chopped tomatoes
300ml beef stock
400g precooked lentils,
such as puy lentils
Flatleaf parsley, to serve
1. Heat a glug of olive oil in a large, deep skillet or frying pan, then add the sausages and fry for about 10 minutes until cooked through and golden brown all over. Remove from the pan and leave in the oven at a low temperature to keep warm.
2. Add another glug of olive oil to the pan and gently fry the sliced onions & garlic until soft and fragrant, stirring often. Then add the tomato purée and stir to coat the onion and garlic in it.
3. Take any baby carrots that are a little big and cut in half lengthways, then add all the carrots to the pan and stir well.
4. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and beef stock to the carrot mixture and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes with a lid on.
5. Remove the lid and add the lentils to the tomato mixture, stirring every so often. Place the lid back on the pan and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the carrots are tender and the sauce has thickened a little.
6. Take the lid off the pan and allow the liquid to reduce a little, then check the seasoning before adding the sausages.
7. Leave the sausages to cook in with the lentil tomato sauce for a further 5-10 minutes until the sauce is thick and the sausages are cooked through.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and divide the sausages amongst 4 plates, topping with the lentils, carrots and rich tomato sauce. Scatter a little flatleaf parsley over the top and tuck in!